Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a teacher in Florida. I will be recieving a bonus of

Customer Question
I am a teacher in...
I am a teacher in Florida. I will be recieving a bonus of $4000 dollars. How much tax do they take off? Is there such a thing as luxury tax? Would this bonus be considered a luxury?

Thank you!

confused teacher
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
7/5/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 7 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello jenny,

A bonus you receive from an employer is not considered a luxury. Luxury tax is something that may be imposed in certain countries on a non essential luxury item, such as an expensive car or jewelry.

Your bonus check is considered by the IRS to be supplemental wages. In other words, it is a larger one time lump sum payment than what you would get on your normal paycheck. Most employers tax supplemental pay using a flat federal withholding rate of 25% although they could also continue to figure withholding based on how you have filled out your current W-4 form.

In addition to the federal withholding, SS and Medicare taxes will still apply for a total of 7.65%. So if your employer chooses the 25% federal withholding method and then withholds another 7.65% to cover SS and Medicare taxes, they should withhold a total of around $1,306 from this bonus.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.

Thank you jenny

Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant