Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a small business and am expecting US$400,000 from an

overseas payment. Can you tell me...
I have a small business and am expecting US$400,000 from an overseas payment.
Can you tell me what percentage of business tax I have to pay on this amount for the year please. This will be my only income for the year.
7/5/2010
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-How is your small business organized? Is it S-corporation? C-corporation? LLC? solo-proprietorship? other?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

LLC, I am the sole operator.

A single member LLC is not a taxable entity - all income would be passed to you and will be reported and taxed as self-employment income.

Here is a raw estimation of your tax liability assuming - you are single, standard deduction, do not have any dependents, no other deductions or credits, no other income, $400,000 is your NET self-employment income (after all deductions)

-- self-employment tax - $23,956

-- income tax - $110,645

Total estimated tax liability - $134,601

What might reduce your tax liability?

-- if you have any deductible business expenses - your NET business income will be less - and both your self-employment and income tax liability with be less;

-- if you have a retirement plan - you may make a contribution into that plan and that will reduce your income tax;

-- most likely you will itemize - and that will reduce your income tax liability.

Let me know if you need any help.

Edited by LEV on 7/5/2010 at 2:31 AM EST
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor