How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have appx. $10,000 owed in Credit cards.. trying to pay aboutt

Resolved Question:

I have appx. $10,000 owed in Credit cards.. trying to pay aboutt $1000/mo, but with recent retirement this is cutting me short with living expenses....I can of course pay less/mo, or was wondering if I cashed in one of my IRA's worth about 10,000, I would have much more flexibility month to month. What would my tax liability be with an income (including the IRA) of about $43,500. I will be 69 in a month, and I understand I will have to cash in some amt. when I reach 70...any advise would be greatly appreciated
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


Do you file your taxes as single or married?


Is any of the $43,500 income from SS benefits? If so, how much each year do you receive from SS?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I receive 1857/mo from soc.sec....I file single
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello again JA Customer,


When you receive SS benefits, you are only allowed to have a certain amount of other income before part of your SS also becomes subject to tax. If you are going to have a total of $22,284 in SS benefits plus another $21,216 in other income (including your IRA withdrawals), this will mean that $3,679 of your SS is also subject to tax. This would give you total taxable income for the year of $24,895. Your taxes on that amount would be $1,703.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.


Thank you JA Customer



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you