How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter worked for a few months last year, which generated

Resolved Question:

My daughter worked for a few months last year, which generated a w-2. We, however, claimed her as a dependent as she spent 7 months of the year in college. Her w-2 would generate a refund, does she have to file. She doesn't want to but she also does not want to get into trouble. Please advise, [email protected]
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Most likely - your daughter will use the form 1040EZ - - to claim a refund for income taxes withheld.

Please be sure she will check the box on the line 5 - If someone can claim you (or your spouse if a joint return) as a dependent.

If her only income from wages - her standard deduction determined on the worksheet - see second page.

and as a dependent - she will not be able to claim a personal exemption.

So the amount on the line 5 from the worksheet will be $5700 or her wages - whatever is less.


On line 8 - she would not be able to claim making work pay credit.


Let me know if you need any help.


Edited by LEV on 7/4/2010 at 2:12 AM EST
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Anne replied 7 years ago.
Hi Jacustomer-wqobr801

Thank you for using justanswer. Whether or not your daughter needs to file a return depends on how much she earned. Since you claimed her as a dependent, she will have to file a return if she earned more than $5700 in box 1 of her W2. ($5700 is her standard deduction as mentioned by the expert above, but I just didn't think he took this quite far enough for you) You will also need to consider any interest income she may have from checking/savings accounts or other investments. If she has investment income of $950 (interest, dividends, capital gains, etc) then she will need to file a tax return regardless of how much or how little she earned at her job.

Assuming that the W2 income was your daughter's only income,since she is still entitled to her Standard Deduction of $5700, even if you claimed her, then any amount less than that in box 1 makes her filing a tax return, even to claim a refund, her choice.

If she has earnings of $5701 or greater in box 1, then she will be required to file a tax return. Please see the chart on page 7 from below link:

2009 Instruction 1040EZ

I hope this helps.