How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, If someone selected Itemized Deductions on their Federal

This answer was rated:


If someone selected "Itemized Deductions" on their Federal 2008 return in error, can they still submit an Amended Return for a larger refund?


Almost certainly yes.

The only exception I can think of is that if the filing status is Married Filing Separate, and your spouse itemizes deductions. In that case, the standard deduction is $0 (absent special additions to the standard deduction, such as property tax.)
Arthur Rubin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you