How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband works hours of overtime and is loosing much of it

Resolved Question:

My husband works hours of overtime and is loosing much of it in taxes, how can we avoid this?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


Unfortunately there is no way to really avoid the higher taxes. The more money that you make, the higher the tax bracket that puts you in for the year.


The only thing you can really do is make sure you are taking advantage of all the deductions available to you. The biggest one would be contributing the maximum amount he is allowed to his 401k or other employer sponsored retirement plan. Those contributions will directly reduce his taxable income dollar for dollar for the year.


If your husband's employer offers a medical reimbursement account, these plans allow you to divert part of your salary to that account to pay for medical expenses. The contributions you make are free from both federal and state income taxes as well as SS and Medicare taxes, so you would want to take advantage of contributing to such a plan if it is offered.


If you are close to needing some repairs on your home such as a new HVAC unit, roof, windows or doors, this may be a good year to make those improvements and take advantage of energy credits being offered which directly reduce the amount of taxes you owe.


Any elective medical procedures you have been considering (laser eye surgery, etc) can be deducted as a medical expense, so it's good to consider these procedures in a year when your income is higher and you can benefit from the deductions.


Other than increasing the amount of your itemized deductions and maxing out your retirement plan contributions, these are really the only things you can do to help lower your taxes on this income.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.


Thank you JA Customer








Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I mentioned in the already tried that we wrote a lot of stuff off, so none of the information you gave me was really new. :(
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello again JA Customer,


Unfortunately I can only provide you with what advice is available. The simple matter of the fact is that the only way you can reduce the taxes your husband is paying on his increased overtime income is through increased deductions.


The more money that you earn, the higher your income bracket is. There are many married couples where one spouse chooses not to work at all for this very reason, as the increased tax liability is just not worth the net income they receive from the second spouse's income.


Thanks for using JA


Edited by Merlo on 7/4/2010 at 12:32 AM EST
Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you