Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I was notified of a tax levy on my ira account in Florida from

Customer Question
my ex husband not filing...
I was notified of a tax levy on my ira account in Florida from my ex husband not filing taxes for 1993. He filed for bankruptcy in 1993 in the state of New york and we lost our home in forclosure which had a tax lien on it. This debt keeps coming up in my name only I have tried to resolve it but after the bankruptcy and forclosure is this debt still owed. I am divorced from him for 6 years.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
7/2/2010
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you files a joint tax return for the tax year in question - you both would be responsible for taxes.

If the tax return for that year was not filed - you would be responsible only for your taxes - and not for your ex-spouse.

It is not clear how you filed tax return for 1993... Did you filed as married filing separate or did not file at all?

Only if you filed a joint tax return - you assets might be garnished.

Please provide more details on your situation.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor