How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if my brother from abroad transfers me money as a gift, do

Resolved Question:

if my brother from abroad transfers me money as a gift, do I have to pay taxes in the us?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


In the US, gift taxes are never paid by the recipient of the gift. If and when gift taxes become due they are paid by the donor. But if your brother is not a citizen or resident of this country, then he is not subject to US gift tax laws.


If you are a US citizen or resident of the US, the only requirement is that when you receive a foreign gift or foreign inheritance that exceeds $100,000 in one year, you must report receipt of that gift by filing Form 3520 with the IRS. There is no tax due with the form. It is for information purposes only and really protects you so that you have a clear record of reporting where this money came from.


Gifts you receive from a foreign source which do not exceed $100,000 in one year do not need to be reported at all.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.


Thank you JA Customer



Merlo and 5 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you