How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29953
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can interest charges be lowered if a person became disable

Resolved Question:

can interest charges be lowered if a person became disable and could not file
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Assuming you are talking about penalties and interest for tax debt.


When taxes are owned and are not paid - the IRS will automatically assess penalties and late fees on the amount owed. Depending on an acceptable reason the IRS might consider to possibly waive the penalties and at least a portion of the problem might be solved. Generally acceptable reasons are a natural disaster, death or illness.


The interest generally may not be waived.


If taxpayers are unable to pay a tax debt in full - there are several options:
-- an installment agreement -,,id=108347,00.html
-- offer in compromise (OIC) -,,id=104593,00.html

An installment agreement would allow you to make a series of monthly payments over time. A one-time installment agreement fee of $105 will be charged when you enter into an installment agreement unless you choose to pay through a Direct Debit from your bank account, in which case the fee is $52.00. Taxpayers with income at or below 250% of the Department of Health and Human Services poverty guidelines can apply to pay a reduced user fee of $43.


If an installment agreement is not an option, you may be able to take advantage of an offer in compromise (OIC). Generally, an OIC should be viewed as a last resort after taxpayers have explored all other available payment options. The IRS resolves less than 1% of all balance due accounts through the OIC program.

An OIC is submitted on Form 656, Offer in Compromise. Form 656 is a complete information package also containing Forms 433-A and 433-B, Collection Information Statements, instructions, and a worksheet.


While professional help is not required - it is helpful in many situations.

You might need a local CPA or Enrolled Agent to represent you with the IRS


If the person is a low income taxpayer - he/she may apply for help to Taxpayer advocate service 1-877-777-4778 or TTY/TTD: 1-800-829-4059.

A list of Taxpayer Advocate Service offices can also be found in Publication 1546 -

The taxpayer can also file Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance, with the Taxpayer Advocate Service, or request that an IRS employee complete Form 911 on his/her behalf.


Let me know if you need any help.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you