Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I dont work directly for a church that I attend, however,

Customer Question
I don't work directly for...
I don't work directly for a church that I attend, however, I do participate in a group that is associated with the church (non-profit status). With this group, I tally expenses. Is there a way to seek an unbrella status from the organization or declare my own deductions under the organization in some way. In other words, can the group I am leading declare tax-exemption if the organization (the main church with non-profit status) extends "just a letter" of extending non-profit status under their name?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 day by:
7/1/2010
Tax Professional: BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 8 years ago
BK-CPA
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

I'll walk you through the code some below (look for bolded parts, end is the 'big gap' below if you want to skim to the bottom):

§ 501. Exemption from tax on corporations, certain trusts, etc.

How Current is This?

(a) Exemption from taxation An organization described in subsection (c) or (d) or section 401 (a) shall be exempt from taxation under this subtitle unless such exemption is denied under section 502 or 503.

(b) Tax on unrelated business income and certain other activities An organization exempt from taxation under subsection (a) shall be subject to tax to the extent provided in parts II, III, and VI of this subchapter, but (notwithstanding parts II, III, and VI of this subchapter) shall be considered an organization exempt from income taxes for the purpose of any law which refers to organizations exempt from income taxes.

(c) List of exempt organizations The following organizations are referred to in subsection (a):

(1) Any corporation organized under Act of Congress which is an instrumentality of the United States but only if such corporation-

(A) is exempt from Federal income taxes-

(i) under such Act as amended and supplemented before July 18, 1984, or

(ii) under this title without regard to any provision of law which is not contained in this title and which is not contained in a revenue Act, or

(B) is described in subsection (l).

(2) Corporations organized for the exclusive purpose of holding title to property, collecting income therefrom, and turning over the entire amount thereof, less expenses, to an organization which itself is exempt under this section. Rules similar to the rules of subparagraph (G) of paragraph (25) shall apply for purposes of this paragraph.

(3) Corporations, and any community chest, fund, or foundation, organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or educational purposes, or to foster national or international amateur sports competition (but only if no part of its activities involve the provision of athletic facilities or equipment), or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, no substantial part of the activities of which is carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting, to influence legislation (except as otherwise provided in subsection (h)), and which does not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office.

....

...

Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3) above describes most common forms of non-profit companies. The church cannot simply extend a letter, no, as it would have to report your activities if applicable, otherwise, on its own return. If your church's accountant wants to include/combine all of your group's activities with the church's itself because it's appropriate under the circumstances, then by all means have at it. From your description, it sounds as though you will have to go the "normal route" for your organization when it comes to applying for and obtaining non-profit status yourself under IRC 501(c)(3). Pay attention to state and local law too then as applicable, and not just the federal law IRC 501(c)(3).

Sorry that may not be what you wanted to hear, but feel free to browse through all the non-profit qualifiers under 501(c)(3), located here:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/usc_sec_26_00000501----000-.html

Thank you for your question.