Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

re delinquent new york state taxes. didnt file in 2006. now…

Customer Question
re delinquent new york state...
re delinquent new york state taxes. didn't file in 2006. now owe twice as much due to "interest" and "negligence. cant afford two pay the penalities and interest. what can i do/
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/29/2010
Tax Professional: Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney replied 8 years ago
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney

If you are financially distressed, you may also decide to submit an Offer in Compromise to the department. An Offer in Compromise is an agreement to settle a tax debt for less than the full amount owed. The state is not obligated to accept an offer in compromise, is unlikely to accept one unless paying them would be impossible or would produce an undue hardship on you, if you have some income you can ask for installment payments and pay them in small installments but interest will accrue.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
you replied "also" , was there a first option?
theirs the offer in compromise and the other is an installment agreement.