Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

i need a registered tax agent/attorney to fix my massachusetts…

Customer Question
i need a registered tax...
i need a registered tax agent/attorney to fix my massachusetts mfs mess from my husband not filing in 2007. small money (27k in 1099), he has no reciepts, he has no reported income for 08 or 09, and i mfs those 3 years. should i amend to mfj to benefit him for the additional "refund" we would get to go towards his taxes or would i just be screwing myself to link myself to his debt. if i hire an attorney with no reciepts or legit deductions am i better off just filing on my own? we have no joint bank accounts, i am just hoping the late fees and nonsense won't kill me financially. will they be reasonable with a payment plan? i can't afford for them to expect more than $150 a month for a repayment plan... HELP!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/29/2010
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

As long as you are not going to the tax court and not in a litigation process - you do not need a tax attorney - that would be unnecessary and too expensive for you.

Posts on Just Answer are for general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional advice and do not establish a professional-client relationship.

If you still feel that you need a tax attorney - you need to look for the attorney licensed in Massachusetts.

The best way is to look in your local Yellow Pages or contact a Lawyer Referral Service - for instance - http://www.massbar.org/for-the-public/need-a-lawyer

Generally - a local CPA or Enrolled Agent would be helpful.

If you are not confident with the lady who served you in H&R Block - you may ask for another person or go to a different office and ask for an Enrolled Agent.

You may also contact another tax preparation service in your area.

As your husband has no receipts for his expenses in 2007 - you need to do the best to re-establish his expenses and find these receipts or other supporting documents.

If he will be audited and will not be able to produce receipts - the risk is that deductions would be disallowed. However the IRS might accept reasonable expenses even without receipts.

Until your husband clean up his tax issues - you better not file a joint tax return - if you do so - you both will be responsible for any tax obligations resulted from a jointly filed tax return.

In most situations a joint tax return will result better refund - generally you have three years to amend your tax return and still claim an additional refund.

I might suggest to file both ways and compare before you decide which way to go.

When taxes are owned and are not paid - the IRS automatically assesses penalties and late fees on the amount owed. Depending on an acceptable reason the IRS might consider to possibly waive the penalties and at least a portion of the problem might be solved. Generally acceptable reasons are a natural disaster, death or illness - but, who knows, the IRS might accept your reasons as well..

If taxpayers are unable to pay a tax debt in full - there are several options:
-- an installment agreement - http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=108347,00.html
-- offer in compromise (OIC) - http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=104593,00.html

An installment agreement would allow you to make a series of monthly payments over time. A one-time installment agreement fee of $105 will be charged when you enter into an installment agreement unless you choose to pay through a Direct Debit from your bank account, in which case the fee is $52.00. Taxpayers with income at or below 250% of the Department of Health and Human Services poverty guidelines can apply to pay a reduced user fee of $43.

If an installment agreement is not an option, you may be able to take advantage of an offer in compromise (OIC). Generally, an OIC should be viewed as a last resort after taxpayers have explored all other available payment options. The IRS resolves less than 1% of all balance due accounts through the OIC program.

An OIC is submitted on Form 656, Offer in Compromise. Form 656 is a complete information package also containing Forms 433-A and 433-B, Collection Information Statements, instructions, and a worksheet.

If the person is a low income taxpayer - he/she may apply for help to Taxpayer advocate service 1-877-777-4778 or TTY/TTD: 1-800-829-4059.

A list of Taxpayer Advocate Service offices can also be found in Publication 1546 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1546.pdf

The taxpayer can also file Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance, with the Taxpayer Advocate Service, or request that an IRS employee complete Form 911 on his/her behalf.

Let me know if you need any help.