Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is there a Revenue Ruling that permits adjustments in NOL carryforwards…

Customer Question
Is there a Revenue Ruling...
Is there a Revenue Ruling that permits adjustments in NOL carryforwards without amending earlier years??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/28/2010
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You are correct that generally, you must carry back the entire amount of the NOL to the 2 tax years before the NOL year (the carry back period), and then carry forward any remaining NOL for up to 20 years after the NOL year (the carry forward period).

You can choose not to carry back your NOL - so-called "Election To Forego the Carry back Period for Net Operating Loss" pursuant to the IRC, Section 172(b)(3).

Please see for reference IRS publication 536 - www.irs.ustreas.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p536.pdf page 8:

To make this choice, attach a statement to your original return filed by the due date (including extensions) for the NOL year. This statement must show that you are choosing to waive the carry back period under section 172(b)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

If you filed your return timely but did not file the statement with it, you must file the statement with an amended return for the NOL year within 6 months of the due date of your original return (excluding extensions). Enter "Filed pursuant to section(NNN) NNN-NNNN2" at the top of the statement.

Let me know if you need any help.

Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town...In my situation I've got NOL carryovers, so an amendment will only increase the amount of the NOL....I thought you could "change" the NOL carryforward to the correct amount in view of the fact that the tax laibility doesn't change..Matt

Hi Matt,

You can choose not to carry back your NOL - - if that will not benefit you and if such election timely made.

If you do so - you will have 20 years to use NOL.

If an amendment will increase the amount of the NOL - that means you do not have taxable income and may not use NOL in the current year - but on the other hand - NOL may be used in following years and will reduce your taxable income.

However - if you have a NOL and have a taxable income - the NOL should be used. You may not decide not to use NOL

Let me know if you need any help.