Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I make 78000 per year gross in CA. what will be my take home…

Customer Question
I make 78000 per year...
I make 78000 per year gross in CA. what will be my take home pay after deducting all kinds of taxes including the SDI tax applicable to California
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/27/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello saralee,

It will depend on how you fill out your W-4 form for your employer as to how much tax will be withheld.

Will you claim single or married? How many personal allowances will you claim?

Married filing jointly--- what do you mean by no of personal allowances claimed?

You are required to fill out a W-4 form for your employer, which is what they use to base the amount of taxes to withhold.

You choose a filing status of single or married and the number of personal allowances you are claiming. In most cases this would be the number of dependents you claim on your return. So if it is just you and your husband, you may claim two allowances. You may lower or increase that number on your W-4 to increase or lower the amount of taxes you want withheld, but the number you put down for allowances will affect your withholding amount, which is why I need to know how you filled out or will fill out that form.

Hello sara,

Since you have not responded to my last information request, I will base my answer on the assumption that you will fill out your W-4 form as married and that you will claim two personal allowances. If that is the case, the following amounts would be withheld from your pay.

Medicare tax - $1,131

FICA withholding - $4,836

Federal withholding - $8,005

CA state withholding - $2,593

CA SDI - $858

Net take home pay: $60,577

Thank you sara

We are just two of us both of us working- So two allowances are ok i guess? i am paid bi weekly- how much should i be earning every pay check? so in my first pay check i would be getting 5000 dollars one time bonus- would that be taxable also. if so

What will be total take home in the first pay check- can you please give me breakdown of both the paycheck and bonus?

Hello again sara,

If it is just the two of you working, then claiming two allowances would be fine. If you had children or other dependents to claim, then you would want to increase that amount.

If you are paid on a bi-weekly basis, then your gross salary each pay period would be $3,000 and the following taxes would be withheld.

Medicare - $43.50

FICA - $186.00

Federal income tax - $307.89

CA income tax - $99.68

CA SDI - $33.00

Net take home pay: $2,329.93

Your bonus check will most likely be issued as a separate check, and it is impossible to tell you exactly how much your bonus check of $5,000 would be taxed at, as there are different options that the employer can choose for taxing this check. The most commonly used method by employers is to tax the bonus at a flat 25% for federal income tax purposes and 6% for CA state income tax purposes, so I will base my answer on using that method, and the following deductions would apply:

Medicare - $72.50

FICA - $310

Federal income tax - $1,250

CA income state - $180

CA SDI - $55

Net take home pay: $3,132.50

Thank you sara