How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a foreign consultant for our US business, he will be

Resolved Question:

We have a foreign consultant for our US business, he will be billing us in US currency. Is there anything special he needs to include on his invoice to us?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


Assuming that this foreign person does all of his work for you remotely from the foreign country that he lives in, then you are not required to withhold any US taxes from the payments you make to him for his services.


His invoices should simply reflect the type of services he performed for your company and the amount he is billing you. You should of course also maintain copies of your canceled checks or wire transfers to document payments made to this person so that you can deduct these as business expenses. Other than that, no special reporting or withholding is required.



Thank you JA Customer



Customer: replied 7 years ago.


What if the consultant was in the US to perform the service?


Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello again Customer,


Any services that he actually performed here in the US would be considered US source income, and you would be required to withhold 30% US tax from his payments for those services.


At the end of the year you would then remit those taxes to the IRS by filing payment with Form 1042. At the same time you would issue Form 1042-S to the foreign consultant showing how much he was paid, and how much you withheld in US tax from his payment (similar to a 1099 form you would issue to a US person, only this is the form to use for foreign payments).


He could then use that form to file a US tax return if he is entitled to any partial refund of the taxes paid.



Thank you Customer



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you