Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I bought a home from my wifes family. The home was owned by…

Customer Question
I bought a home from...
I bought a home from my wife's family. The home was owned by 4 siblings. Her mother owned 25% of the home and the rest of the family owned 75%. I have been told by one IRS person that I do qualify for the first time home buyer's tax credit for the 75% that is not represented by my wife's mother. I was told by another that I do not qualify because one of the owners was a parent regardless of percentage. I cannot find the specific tax law regarding the credit and this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/24/2010
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 8 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.
Section 36(c)(3) defines “purchase” as any acquisition, but only if (i) the taxpayer did not acquire the property from a related person.
(5) Related persons. A person shall be treated as related to another person if the
relationship between such persons would result in the disallowance of losses under
section 267 or 707(b) (but, in applying section 267(b) and (c) for purposes of this section,
paragraph (4) of section 267(c) shall be treated as providing that the family of an
individual shall include only his spouse, ancestors, and lineal descendants).

Since your spouse's family owned the property you and your spouse may not claim the credit. When married each spouse must qualify and your wife's family are related persons that would disallow the credit.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful,
but wouldn't her uncles and aunt not be direct lineal descendants?
Her mother, even at 25%, knocks you out. The credit is for all the property or none. It was not written to claim partial credit on only a percentage of the property.
To avoid abuse, purchases from a relative are excluded. For this purpose, a relative is your spouse, one of your ancestors or one of your lineal descendants. Specifically excluded are siblings and cousins. Excluded if you buy your home from a close relative. This includes your spouse, parent, grandparent, child or grandchild.

The IRS has disallowed when one sibling buys out another sibling for their half of a home.