Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Hi, I need help, I recieved a notice of assessment and I owe…

Customer Question
Hi, I need help, I...
Hi, I need help, I recieved a notice of assessment and I owe a sum to Massachussets but I paid my taxes? Can you help me understand this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/22/2010
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 8 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.
If you receive a Notice of Assessment that you want to protest, you must file for an abatement. Once an Application for Abatement/Amended Return (Form CA-6) or an online abatement application is filed, late-pay penalties do not accrue on unpaid disputed amounts resulting from an audit assessment. Involuntary collection activities are stayed on all unpaid contested amounts whether resulting from an audit assessment or not, while a taxpayer appeals the assessment.
To file for an abatement, you must fill out and submit Form CA-6 or an online abatement application, within the time allowed for making an application. The Customer Service Bureau can answer your questions, including how much time you have within which to file an application for abatement. For more information or to obtain forms, please call the Customer Service Bureau at 617-887-MDOR or toll-free in Massachusetts at (NNN) NNN-NNNN
I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful,