Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

When closing a non-profit museum what are guidelines

Customer Question
?...
When closing a non-profit museum what are guidelines ?
If we owe money can we declare bankruptcy?
What is best way to liquidate assets,displays,diaromas,gift shop items?
If a board member has lent several hundred thousand dollars to museum is it legal to try to pay down debt by selling assets of museum or do we give assets to him and let him do the selling?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/22/2010
Tax Professional: Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney replied 8 years ago
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
a non profit can file a chapter 11 or 7 bankruptcy the best way to do what you want is to file a chapter 7 corporate bankruptcy, in this case the trustee will sell the assets in an auction to pay off your creditors