Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I contacted you 6/7/10 and you advised me to get a transcript…

Customer Question
I contacted you 6/7/10 and...
I contacted you 6/7/10 and you advised me to get a transcript of my tax return and I have been on numerous sites under irs.gov and there is not any way to get the transcript. You also told me to go ahead and pay the vouchers that were transmitted to me when I filed my taxes on line and I was to that I should pay Two amounts $498.00 whiich I did on 4/1/10 and I was also told to pay $473.00 whic I did on 4/2/10. I also paid $498.00 on 6/1/10 as stated on Form 1040-ES Payment Voucher #2. These vouchers were transmitted to me by the IRS when I filed my taxes. Now I got aniother letter from the IRS dated 6/16/10 saying that I still owe $1579.35 and have been charged an overdue fee also. I can't talk to a human on the phone or get through the maze on the web. I am totally confused by this whole process and now the are demanding another $200.00 payment by 6/25/10. I paid a $15.00 fee to you before and i feel that I got information that is not usable and no resolution to the problem. Help!!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/18/2010
Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 8 years ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Hi Jacustomer-tlmvoct4

In order to get a transcript of your account, I gave you this link:

Form 4506-T (Rev. January 2010) Request for Transcript of Tax Return

and I told you to be sure to check box 6b and box 6c.

Checking Box 6B
Request for Transcript of Tax Return will give you information from your tax return, which contains information on the financial status of the account, such as payments made on the account, penalty assessments, and adjustments made by you or the IRS after the return was filed. Return information is limited to items such as tax liability and estimated tax payments

This is important information to help figure out not only how IRS arrived at the total you owed, but also where they have been applying the payments you have sent them.

I also told you to check box 6C. Record of account which will show any adjustments made to your account by the IRS.

Although the form itself is available online, it must be filled out and either mailed in or faxed, depending on what state you are filing from (The correct address and/or fax # XXXXX XXXXX page 2 and can take up to 30 days to receive the information.

I gave you a phone number
800-829-3676-but if you're having trouble reaching someone, you may always try their main number(NNN) NNN-NNNN

At this point, since it sounds like you're making payments and you really don't understand why or where they're going, I strongly suggest you call either of the numbers I just gave you, or you may try going thru Taxpayer Advocate Service . This is a free service that acts as a liaison between you and the IRS. They may be able to help track down where your payments have been applied (or get you in touch with the correct area that can) and give a complete explanation of what's going on with your return and your payments.

I hope this helps.