Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

question. May an individually now borrow from an IRA and with…

Customer Question
question. May an individually...
question. May an individually now borrow from an IRA and with repayment back of the loan within a short term period w/ interest and avoid any taxability of the use of the funds? My understanding is that an individual formerly could not borrow any funds from an IRA WITH OUT IT BEING TAXABLE?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/17/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello JA Customer,

Loans are not allowed from IRA accounts as they are with some employer retirement accounts such as 401k plans.

When you withdraw money from an IRA account, it becomes taxable in the year the withdrawal is made, unless you roll over the funds within 60 days to the same IRA account or a new IRA account.

Some people use the 60 day rollover feature as a short term loan. In other words you could make a withdrawal from your IRA and as long as you redeposit those funds within 60 days to the same IRA or a new IRA account, then you would not be taxed on that withdrawal. 60 day rollovers can only be done once each year on each IRA account that you have.

Other than using that 60 day rollover option, no loans are permitted from an IRA.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. It is the only way we receive any credit for helping with these questions.

Thank you JA Customer