Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

The half dozen people contacted said they dont do this type…

Customer Question
The half dozen people contacted...
The half dozen people contacted said they don't do this type of work anymore. We called the people off the EA list in our area. We will expand the area and try again, but is there some reason why accountants aren't dealing with this anymore? The only thing that we were told was if you call the irs, they check your expenses against your income, and they take everything over your expenses leaving you nothing for anything but paying your bills.
This is not acceptable if there is any other way to go that isn't quite so painful.? How do you find an advocate that will really help you? No one seems interested at this time.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/16/2010
Tax Professional: BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 8 years ago
BK-CPA
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

I'm not sure if you are considering speaking with someone other than an EA or not, but typically CPA's and tax attorneys should also be a consideration.

An EA (enrolled agent) can often times be a less expensive, but also an equally effective, means of dealing with the IRS. EA's are trained in the tax law.

CPA's (certified public accountants) pass an equivalent tax exam as compared to an EA more or less, but CPA's all pass an additional three sections in what is called the CPA exam, which include auditing, financial accounting, and general business. CPA's are also required to have an education (about the equivalent of a Master's Degree, or 150 credit hours), references, and work experience.

Tax attorneys pass the bar exam, are also educated obviously, and tend to specialize with IRS trouble moreso than CPA's. I therefore tend to suggest a tax attorney for battling the IRS, but not necessarily for tax return preparation, as many tax attornies do not prepare returns. The problem with CPA's, like attorneys, is that they also tend to specialize in many, many other areas of business (valuations, financial statements and audits, internal audits, accounting/payroll, etc. etc.). A CPA/attorney specializing in tax preparation, and also IRS audits, is typically going to offer your highest level of service.

Be careful when choosing someone to assist you with IRS trouble. Many people are not as qualified as they think they are. These people may try to earn your money, without necessarily being your best bet. That means, make sure you select an individual to handle your case, who takes responsibility, and who has experience with IRS audits and tax preparation both.

A phone book may be a good place to start for CPA firms and tax attorneys. Ask questions and do your homework, including finding local addresses and phone numbers to help avoid referral services that can steer you in the wrong direction. Set/clarify deadlines for your engagements with them, should they decide to assist you, and after you come to a solid understanding regarding their plan for assiting you (ie... look for an engagement letter defining the terms of service).

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you for your question.

Edited by BK-CPA on 6/16/2010 at 11:42 PM EST