Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

What would be the possible tax due on a 250K grant

Customer Question
?...
What would be the possible tax due on a 250K grant ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/13/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello JA Customer,

Who was the grant issued to and for what purpose? Is this a grant issued to a student or a business grant?

This would be a Pepsi grant issued to an individual with a small business, utilizing the grant to complete a project that would be offered for sale to the public and for free to any medical or mental health institutions.

Is your organization tax exempt under IRS regulations? It is my understanding that Pepsi does not issue grants to any organization that is not a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization.

Ok. This could help.

I would be applying as an individual (if possible), on the www.refresheverything.com competition that they are advertising at this time. I am not an organization. I simply have a VA business license. I haven't conducted business for a couple of years but I keep renewing the license. I have the experience to carry out my proposal for the grant.

I just don't know if It is doable legally. Or if I might have to be sponsored by another business.

Hello again JA Customer,

I am going to put your question back on the open board to see if another expert here is more familiar with these grants.

I'm going to have to bow out of this at this time.

Don't have time to wait. I'll simply have to wager a guess and submit my forms.

Thank you for trying though.

HB

If someone here has an answer for you, you will receive an email notification if a response is posted.