Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is there sales tax on a car in Ohio, if it is being sold to…

Customer Question
Is there sales tax on...
Is there sales tax on a car in Ohio, if it is being sold to a foreign country?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/10/2010
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 8 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello and thank you for suing Just Answer.

According to the Ohio Department of Taxation there is no sales tax due on the sale to a nonresident of this state upon presentation of an affidavit executed in this state by the nonresident purchaser affirming that:

(1) the purchaser is not a resident of this state,
(2) that possession of the vehicle is taken in this state for the sole purpose of immediately removing it from the state,
(3) the resident state provides a nonresident motor vehicle exemption from their sales and use tax law under which Ohio residents can purchase a vehicle and not be required to pay sales or use tax, and
(4) that the vehicle will be permanently titled and registered in another state and that it will not be used in the State of Ohio. (NR)

Note: The sale of a motor vehicle consummated in Ohio to a nonresident member of the Armed Forces stationed in Ohio is subject to Ohio sales or use tax. This type of transaction does not qualify under the nonresident exemption because the vehicle will be used in Ohio.

It also mentions that if a dealer from another state or country buys in Ohio they are not liable for the sales tax.

is it possible to talk over the phone?

Hello again,

Just Answer does not support that form of communication.

http://www.tax.ohio.gov/divisions/communications/information_releases/sales/st2007_04.stm3

please check this document, cose to middle of page, search for foreign country

Your link sent me to page that advised the Ohio information had been updated.

Look here under what is exempt;

http://tax.ohio.gov/faqs/Sales/sales_taxability.stm

please google this info:

ST 2007-04 - Sales and Use Tax: Sales of Motor Vehicles to Nonresidents of Ohio - Issued August 2007; Revised March 2009

For sales to nonresidents of Ohio that will remove the vehicle purchased to any foreign country (except, on or after September 23, 2008, Canada) for titling, registration or use, the Ohio tax should be collected at six percent (6%) of the price of the vehicle. (This is because there is not a tax from another ­state to compare to the Ohio tax and take the lesser of.)

So, in short, per the revision if a DEALER, sold a vehicle to a nonresident that wants to take the vehicle to any country other than Canada, sales tax collection is required.

this started in august 2007, now what was the regulation before Aug. 1st 2007,let's say from 2000? Can you please provide any regulation for this period of time?

http://ohiobmv.com/history.stm

I will get back with sales specific.

Looks like this link is related to BMV instead of department of taxation

This is the Ohio code for 2000

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/5739

The exact code for non residents is here

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/5739.029

Edited by Robin D on 6/11/2010 at 11:58 AM EST

So, what were the rules between 2000 and July 30, 2007?

code 5739.029 is effective from July 30, 2007, and what was there before?