Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

if an individual has a previous debt with the IRS from about…

Customer Question
if an individual has a...
if an individual has a previous debt with the IRS from about 10 years ago. If they file a 1065 partnership return for 2009, can the IRS go after this partnership?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/10/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 8 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello JA Customer,

The IRS has a statute of limitations on the collection of a tax debt which runs for 10 years from the date that the tax was last actually assessed. During that collection period, they can go after assets and/or income from any source that the taxpayer has a connection to.

If you do not know for sure the date that this old tax debt was last assessed, you need to check with the IRS to find out that information. Once the 10 year time period has expired, they could no longer go after the income or assets of the partnership or any other income or assets of the taxpayer.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you JA Customer