Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I disassociated myself from an attorney (atty) in January…

Customer Question
I disassociated myself from...
I disassociated myself from an attorney (atty) in January 2010 when I learned of two large fees he had paid himself from my trust account in 2009, without my knowledge, in addition to refusing to disclose his hours. His accountant (acct), who filed my 2008 taxes, was willing to file 2009, knowing that the atty and I had unresolved issues. I gave my information to the acct on April 15, who filed an extension and contacted the atty, who agreed to itemize any deductions for his 2009 fees. After several requests and many excuses,today,June 9 he gave the acct a figure, approximately 1/2 of his 2009 fees, said it was deductible, but gave no detail or information to back this up.I had asked the acct to get everything in writing, expecting some explanation of the service he performed which made this particular amount justifiably deductible. The IRS holds me responsible. Acct says no one except the IRS asks an attorney for back up, due to professional respect and my question is: Is this true?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Tax
6/10/2010
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 8 years ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Professional Respect? Give me a break. How about Client Respect? I don't know what kind of an accountant you're dealing with, but unless "y'all" do things a lot differently in NC, it sounds like the accountant finds himself in the middle. This information is routinely provided. In fact it is NOT routine to withdraw money for fees from a trust without rendering an invoice which describes the services provided, including the basis for the billing, usually hours spent and the rate per hour charged.

A couple of options to consider:

Write a letter to the attorney, requesting a complete breakdown of his fee and the basis he used to compute it. Give him 1 week from the date of your letter to either respond in writing or provide reimbursement of any & all withdrawals he made from the trust. Send the letter certified mail, return receipt requested.

Inform him that should he fail to respond by that date, you will inform the North Carolina Board of Bar Overseers (or comparable entity) that he made unauthorized withdrawals from your trust and despite repeated requests he has failed to provide any written explanation of the withdrawals including what they were for and how they were computed. You plan to request their assistance in obtaining the information, or failing that, you will contact the NC Attorney General's Office.

The next step would be to contact the Consumer Protection Division of your state's Attorney General's office and request their assistance in filing a complaint/claim against the Attorney for monies withdrawn from your trust without your authorization.

Don't be surprised if they advise you to file a complaint with your local police department. That should stir things up one way or another.

Please remember to click on the green "ACCEPT" "ICON" & thanks again for using our service.

Edited by Stephen E. Grizey on 6/10/2010 at 5:16 AM EST