How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My accountant filed an EXTENSION to file form for my 2009 income

This answer was rated:

My accountant filed an EXTENSION to file form for my 2009 income taxes. If I am not able to obtain a copy of this form from him, can I go online and get a copy of it? My accountant cannot be reached due to a family emergency and I need a copy of this form as soon as possible. Can you help?

Hello JA Customer,


When a taxpayer files for an extension of time to file his taxes, this can be done either electronically or by mail. If it was done electronically, you or your accountant would have received an email confirmation of the filing. It most likely would have been emailed to your accountant if he is the one who filed the extension on your behalf. If instead of filing electronically he mailed in your extension request, the only proof of filing is if he sent the form by certified mail with proof of delivery.


There are no actual copies of the form available on line. The only copy you can actually get of the form itself would be from your accountant. The IRS will not provide you with a copy of that form.


I am sorry I could not give you a solution to your problem, but I hope at least that you know there really are no other choices here but to go through your accountant for this information.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you JA Customer



Merlo and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you