Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I own a home that was purchased in 2009, but Im not on the

Customer Question
I own a home that...
I own a home that was purchased in 2009, but I'm not on the mortgage, we cannot alter or change our HUD-1 form, so do I still qualify for the first time home buyer tax credit?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
6/3/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 7 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello JA Customer,

You do not have to be listed on the mortgage in order to be eligible for the first time homebuyer credit. As long as you are listed on the title to the home as an owner, and as long as you meet the other requirements for this credit, then not being on the mortgage will not prevent you from claiming this credit.

Thank you JA Customer

OK so what form could i submit to the IRS to satisfy the requirement for the HUD-1 form?

Hello again JA Customer,

I would still submit the form HUD-1 even though your name is XXXXX XXXXX on that document. I would also attach a statement explaining that your name is XXXXX XXXXX the HUD-1 form because you are not listed on the mortgage. Then include another document that does show your name is XXXXX XXXXX title. This could be a copy of the Recorder of Deeds document showing your name is XXXXX XXXXX title, or possibly a copy of your title insurance that lists you as an owner. But I would still include the HUD-1 statement along with a letter of explanation.

Thank you JA Customer

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant