How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a home that was purchased in 2009, but Im not on the

Resolved Question:

I own a home that was purchased in 2009, but I'm not on the mortgage, we cannot alter or change our HUD-1 form, so do I still qualify for the first time home buyer tax credit?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


You do not have to be listed on the mortgage in order to be eligible for the first time homebuyer credit. As long as you are listed on the title to the home as an owner, and as long as you meet the other requirements for this credit, then not being on the mortgage will not prevent you from claiming this credit.



Thank you JA Customer



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK so what form could i submit to the IRS to satisfy the requirement for the HUD-1 form?
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello again JA Customer,


I would still submit the form HUD-1 even though your name is XXXXX XXXXX on that document. I would also attach a statement explaining that your name is XXXXX XXXXX the HUD-1 form because you are not listed on the mortgage. Then include another document that does show your name is XXXXX XXXXX title. This could be a copy of the Recorder of Deeds document showing your name is XXXXX XXXXX title, or possibly a copy of your title insurance that lists you as an owner. But I would still include the HUD-1 statement along with a letter of explanation.



Thank you JA Customer



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you