Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I cash out my 401K worth $37,000. What will I need to pay

Customer Question
If I cash out my...
If I cash out my 401K worth $37,000. What will I need to pay in penalties and taxes?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
6/3/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 7 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello JA Customer,

The 10% withholding is required by the IRS, but the actual amount you will owe really depends on your filing status (single or married) and your entire income for the year, including this withdrawal, as that will be what determines the actual tax bracket you are in.

If you are a single taxpayer and your total income for the year, including this withdrawal, will be $43,000 or less, then you will owe federal taxes of around 15%. If your income will be above this amount, your tax liability will be around 20%. If you are under the age of 59-1/2 at the time you make this withdrawal, you will owe an additional 10% to cover the early withdrawal penalty.

If Hawaii is your resident state, you will also owe HI state taxes ranging between 7.5% to 8%.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you JA Customer

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant