How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BK-CPA Your Own Question
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 933
Experience:  Owner of a CPA firm
Type Your Tax Question Here...
BK-CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how would a partnership go about admitting a new partner to

Resolved Question:

how would a partnership go about admitting a new partner to an organization? How about if a partner withdrawals from the organization?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 7 years ago.

This can turn into a $1,000 question fairly quickly...


In general, the new partner will buy his/her interest from the other partner who is leaving. The partnership may close based on the ownership interest exchanged and become a new partnership all together, or stay the same ol' existing partnership.


The partnership may sometimes wish to make elections or special allocations under operating agreements between the partners, such as stepping up a basis on contributed property so that depreciation can be claimed equally. This can get tricky.


The partner who is leaving will recognize gain/loss on the sale of the partnership interest and the new partner will assume an outside basis equal to what was paid for the partnership interest. In the presence of an election, additional taxes may get paid.


Generally the partnership would have some sort of business valuation done. CPA's with valuation designations (ABV) charge big bucks for these, but they do protect the partners and help clarify fair value for tax purposes, especially for a related party transaction.


Let me know what else you need to know...


Thank you for your question.

BK-CPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions