Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

if you inherited a 401k in 2006 as a non-spouse beneficiary

can you do a direct...
if you inherited a 401k in 2006 as a non-spouse beneficiary can you do a direct transfer to an inherited IRA in 2010?
6/3/2010
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Did the non-spouse beneficiary elect to take distributions from the 401(k) in 2006 over a 5 year period, over life expectancy, or over another payout period?

Bill, she was taking the RMDs each year as her mother was over 70 1/2.

If the nonspouse beneficiary has been taking RMDs from the 401(k) based on her single life expectancy, then she should be able to rollover the remaining assets in the 401(k) to an inherited IRA now since the distribution would occur this year even though the decedent died in 2006. She would continue taking distributions from the inherited IRA based on her remaining single life expectancy factor (which would be the factor in the year following the decedent's death reduced by 1 for each year from the initial RMD year). For example, if the decedent died in 2006, and the nonspouse's single life expectancy in 2007 was 33.1 years, then the factor this year would be 30.1.

See pages 6 and 7 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rne_fall09.pdf

http://hr.cch.com/news/pension/010510a.asp

See questions #11 - 18 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-07-07.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/se_021307.pdf

Edited by Bill on 6/3/2010 at 3:33 PM EST
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Bill
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent