How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get copies of my tax returns for the years 1997 to

Customer Question

How can I get copies of my tax returns for the years 1997 to 2000?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


Unfortunately if you do not have copies of your own returns or if your CPA does not have copies going back that far, there is no other source where this information is still available. The IRS is required by law to destroy all tax records that are more than 7 years old. So the oldest returns you could still get from the IRS would be from the year 2003.


I am sorry that I could not give you other options here, but there are just no other agencies that would have copies of your tax returns. I hope this at least answers your questions so you do not continue to search for other options which simply are not available.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you JA Customer



Edited by Merlo on 6/2/2010 at 9:25 PM EST