How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

WE have a studio apartment above our attached garqage that

Resolved Question:

WE have a studio apartment above our attached garqage that we are considering using it as a rental for extra icome. How we do our taxes with this extra income?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.



You would simply file Schedule E with your personal tax return to report the rental income from this apartment, as well as any rental expenses you had. Your rental expenses would include depreciation on the apartment, the cost of maintenance and repairs, the cost of any utilities you provide, a percentage of your property taxes and a percentage of any mortgage interest you pay on your property. Your net rental income after deducting those expenses is then what is subject to tax.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank youCustomer/p>



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you