Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I dispute California Franchise Tax Board Reported Income

from 1993? I cannot prove...
Can I dispute California Franchise Tax Board Reported Income from 1993? I cannot prove that I left California in 1992 but a former employer filed that they paid me $19,000 and did not withold anything from it. How do I dispute the claim?
Answered in 1 day by:
6/4/2010
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

HelloCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

I am not sure how much you are going to like this answer. CA enforces the standing that because they receive their income information about taxpayers from third parties (banks, employers...) the taxpayer has the ability to contact these third party reporters and dispute the items directly.

CA places the burden of proof on the taxpayer to show that the information is not correct. If you wish to dispute the income then you will need to respond to the notice sent to you within the time frame requested in the notice.

If you left CA in 1992 you will need to find someway to prove that you left prior to 1993 perhaps you have something. When were you employed by the company where you currently work? If you are with the same company they will have your information still on file. If you worked for a different company then they would be worth contacting.

I wish I could tell you something simple but CA is strict on their guidelines.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4