How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15204
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I dispute California Franchise Tax Board Reported Income

This answer was rated:

Can I dispute California Franchise Tax Board Reported Income from 1993? I cannot prove that I left California in 1992 but a former employer filed that they paid me $19,000 and did not withold anything from it. How do I dispute the claim?


Thank you for using Just Answer.

I am not sure how much you are going to like this answer. CA enforces the standing that because they receive their income information about taxpayers from third parties (banks, employers...) the taxpayer has the ability to contact these third party reporters and dispute the items directly.

CA places the burden of proof on the taxpayer to show that the information is not correct. If you wish to dispute the income then you will need to respond to the notice sent to you within the time frame requested in the notice.

If you left CA in 1992 you will need to find someway to prove that you left prior to 1993 perhaps you have something. When were you employed by the company where you currently work? If you are with the same company they will have your information still on file. If you worked for a different company then they would be worth contacting.

I wish I could tell you something simple but CA is strict on their guidelines.

Robin D. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you