How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Father in law is going to wire us a gift of $ 40k to buy

This answer was rated:

My Father in law is going to wire us a gift of $ 40k to buy a house do i have to pay any sort of tax on this money ?

Hello JA Customer,


No tax will be due but there will be some reporting requirements.


Can you please confirm if your father is a US citizen or if he resides outside of the US so I can give you the proper reporting information.



Edited by Merlo on 6/2/2010 at 5:18 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My father inlaw is a citizen of Canada

Hello again tim,


Since your father is not a citizen of the US, he is not the one who is subject to reporting requirements, so if any reports needed to be filed, you would be the one responsible for filing that report.


However, under current law, if the only amount he is gifting to you is $40,000, then no report is required. When a US person receives a gift or inheritance from a foreign source, he or she is required to report receipt of that foreign money by filing Form 3520 with the IRS. But that form is only required if the foreign gift or inheritance exceeds the amount of $100,000 in any one tax year. As long as your father does not send you more than $100,000 in any one year, you are not required to file any forms.


In the event he ever does plan to send you more than the $100,000, just keep in mind you are required to file form 3520 to report the gift, but this form is strictly for informational purposes only, and still no taxes would be due.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you tim



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions