How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chad Oberg Your Own Question
Chad Oberg
Chad Oberg, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 174
Experience:  10 + years of accounting and tax experience, financial statements and business planning
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Chad Oberg is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I forgot to file 2008 taxes and still owe money, what is the

Resolved Question:

I forgot to file 2008 taxes and still owe money, what is the best way to get caught up with the IRS. this is for my husband and I. I thought he filed and he thought I did. We sent a partial payment in April 2009, but never heard from IRS.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Chad Oberg replied 7 years ago.

The IRS isn't known for being expeditious. However, if there are W-2s or 1099s and other reporting forms in your name, they are sure to get to it at some point.


Nevertheless, file the return as soon as possible and do your best to get every deduction and credit that you are entitled. If you do receive a notice in the interim, then call them and explain the situation to include that you are going to file the tax return as soon as possible.


Don't worry, you are not the first person to ever forget to file. In fact the taxing agencies are used to this situation.


If you owe money and you are not complete with the return, pay the balance as soon as possible since this stops penalties and interest on the amount due.


If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.





Chad Oberg and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions