How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15711
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister and I jointly(joint ownership with rights of survivor

This answer was rated:

My sister and I jointly(joint ownership with rights of survivor ship) purchased a vacation condo in another state. We plan to use it occasionally and have the resort where the condo is located rent it out. Should the W9's be in both names, and should we both be receiving half of the revenues? Should we both be indicating the income and expenses on our taxes? Can just one of us indicate income and expense for this property on taxes? Thanks.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

You should each be reporting the income and expenses on your tax returns according to your percentage of ownership. The W9s would be required from each of you.

If your ownership is 50/50 then the expenses are reported the same percentage as well as the deductions.

You will each need to file a NC tax return as non residents with NC rental property. When or if you sale the property you will have capital gain in NC for the sale.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX is useful,

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you