How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15185
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother died in 2010 and left me $6000 in insurance, $

Resolved Question:

My mother died in 2010 and left me $6000 in insurance,
$ 5000 in cd's, $17000 in gov savings bonds and $10,000 in corporate bonds.

What do I owe federal taxes on?

Jay C
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

The Insurance money you received will not be taxable to you. The interest earned on the CDs and the bonds will be taxable. The Corporate bonds work like the CDs and Savings Bonds, the investment income derived from them are fully taxable.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful and please accept my condolences on your loss,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for the answer. Do I owe taxes on the interest I earn on the bonds and CD's; or do I owe taxes on what my mother earned on interest while she owned them. Probably 30% of the gov savings bonds was Interest earned by my mother.


Thank you for your condolence.



Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.
You will be required to include in your income the interest earned after you inherited the CDs and savings bonds (unless you were named on the savings bonds as a co-owner, in that case you would include all interest on your return).
Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions