Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is it possible to claim extra child on EIC that is not listed

Customer Question
as dependant or anywhere else...
Is it possible to claim extra child on EIC that is not listed as dependant or anywhere else on tax return except on EIC form?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
6/1/2010
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 7 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

HelloCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

The Rule 9 under EIC and divorced parents answers the question.

Applying Rule 9 to divorced or separated parents or parents who live apart. If a child is treated as the qualifying child of the noncustodial parent under the special rule described for children of divorced or separated parents or parents who live apart, only the noncustodial parent can claim an exemption and the child tax credit for the child. However, the custodial parent, if eligible, or another eligible taxpayer can claim the child as a qualifying child for the EIC and other tax benefits. If the child is the qualifying child of more than one person for these benefits, then the tiebreaker rules determine which person can treat the child as a qualifying child for EIC.

If the parents do not live together, then the custodial parent may claim the EIC on the child that is not their dependent. The child must live with the parent that claims them for EIC purposes.

See the instructions for EIC page 2 of EIC Form;

http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sei.pdf

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4