Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I sold my interest in an S-Corp for $150,000 ($150 per share

Customer Question
for 1,000 shares) on 1/1/10...
I sold my interest in an S-Corp for $150,000 ($150 per share for 1,000 shares) on 1/1/10. The new owner of the S-Corp took over all debts (except for the final year's tax liability, which will come out of my $150,000). The new owner is also retaining all of the assets of the company. How do I report this sale on my tax return? I understand that I will receive a final K-1 for that 1st day of 2010, and will report that accordingly. It's the actual sale that I am unsure of.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
5/18/2010
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 7 years ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Since you sold the S-Corp stock the sale belongs on Schedule D as a long-term capital gain (assuming you held the stock for at least a year).

The selling price of $150,000. is your gross proceeds and you look to your own records or the K-1 to determine your adjusted tax basis in the S-Corp stock. Your accountant (for the S-Corp) should be able to assist you with determining your adjusted basis.

The final tax liability will not reduce the $150,000., selling price anymore than any other taxes that you paid along the way.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Is the basis adjusted by Retained earnings, contributions, draws and non-deductible items? I want to have an understanding of how an accountant would calculate the adjusted basis.

Also - for bookkeeping purposes, how do I make an entry for the sale to reflect a clean set of books moving forward for the new owner?

Thanks again -I really appreciate your time.

Sorry, but that is way beyond the scope of your original question & would be impossible to answer that question without having your tax returns, acccounting/bookkeeping history etc., I mean we did go to school for this stuff....... :)-

In theory, if everything has been accounted for properly along the way, the books of the S-Corp are not affected by a sale of stock from an existing shareholder to a new shareholder any more than any other company's books are adjusted for sales of stock on the open market..........

You're going to need an accountant familar with S-Corp accounting to sort this all out for you; who is doing (has done) the s-corp returns? That's where to go for your answers; he/she will have the records & know how to use them..........

Please remember to click on the green "ACCEPT" "ICON" & thanks again for using our service.

Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert