How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1257
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter, 22, filed her return in order to receive her refund.

Resolved Question:

My daughter, 22, filed her return in order to receive her refund. In so doing, she claimed herself as a dependent. She is a full-time student, and lives at home full-time. Her income was about $5,000. We filed our return later, and claimed her as a dependent. Our return, filed electronically through TurboTax, was rejected, stating that an earlier filing had claimed one of our dependents. How can I get this straightened out.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 7 years ago.

You must mail your tax return instead of efiling it if you wish to claim your dependent daughter. If you are expecting a refund, no penalty will likely be assessed. Attach a statement to your return showing that you did attempt to file electronically (include the date efiled), but were rejected due to the fact that your dependent filed in error. Also add that the dependent is amending her return to comply.


Your daughter must file Form 1040X to change her return to that of a dependent. It is likely there will be no difference on her refund amount. She must also amend her state return and attach a copy of the Federal Form 1040X.


Your refund may be delayed slightly while IRS reviews information from both returns.

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you