Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My daughter, 22, filed her return in order to receive her refund.

Customer Question
In so doing, she claimed...
My daughter, 22, filed her return in order to receive her refund. In so doing, she claimed herself as a dependent. She is a full-time student, and lives at home full-time. Her income was about $5,000. We filed our return later, and claimed her as a dependent. Our return, filed electronically through TurboTax, was rejected, stating that an earlier filing had claimed one of our dependents. How can I get this straightened out.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
5/5/2010
Tax Professional: Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent replied 7 years ago
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent

You must mail your tax return instead of efiling it if you wish to claim your dependent daughter. If you are expecting a refund, no penalty will likely be assessed. Attach a statement to your return showing that you did attempt to file electronically (include the date efiled), but were rejected due to the fact that your dependent filed in error. Also add that the dependent is amending her return to comply.

Your daughter must file Form 1040X to change her return to that of a dependent. It is likely there will be no difference on her refund amount. She must also amend her state return and attach a copy of the Federal Form 1040X.

Your refund may be delayed slightly while IRS reviews information from both returns.

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks