Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

can the irs collect past due fed income tax from my checking

Customer Question
account without telling me (the...
can the irs collect past due fed income tax from my checking account without telling me (the account is also a joint account)?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
5/4/2010
Tax Professional: Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent replied 7 years ago
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. If the IRS have filed a federal tax lien against you for unpaid income tax they can seizure funds from any banking account that is in your name as a owner or joint owner. Banks must hold accounts for 21 days before surrendering levied funds to the IRS.
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent