Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

The step up in basis of the decedents stock totaled $206,000

Customer Question
The step up in basis...
The step up in basis of the decedent's stock totaled $206,000 at her death in August 2009. The stock was sold at a value of roughly $321,000. The remainder of the estate is in real estate valued at approximately $200,000 and currently earns no income (i.e. rental property). What is the capital gains tax on the gain?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
5/3/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 7 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello JA Customer,

If the real estate has not yet been sold, then there is no gain at this point, so no tax would be due.

If the stocks were sold for $321,000 and had a stepped up basis of $206,000, there is a long term capital gain of $115,000. That gain is subject to a maximum tax rate of 15% or a total of $17,250.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you JA Customer

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant