Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

In 2004 I inadvertantly failed to file income taxes. The IRS

In 2004 I inadvertantly failed...
In 2004 I inadvertantly failed to file income taxes. The IRS froze my return from 2009 until I did so. I filed 2004 which shows them owing me app. $2000.00 but they are telling me I wont get it back because the return is over three years overdue. Is this legal?
5/3/2010
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello JA Customer,

Yes, that is correct. There is a statute of limitations on how long a taxpayer can file a return and still receive a refund. The statute is 3 years from the original due date of the return in question. Your 2004 return was due on April 15, 2005 so you only had until April 15,2008 to file a return for 2004 and still receive any refund which you were due.

I am sorry I could not give you a more favorable answer, but this has always been the law in effect on refunds.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you JA Customer

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant