How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29781
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recieved a letter from PA stating that I owe back taxes from

Resolved Question:

I recieved a letter from PA stating that I owe back taxes from "1988". I have'nt lived in PA since 1994. I have no records from 22 years ago. Is there a SOL for PA state taxes?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Yes - there is a statute of limitation. Here is the law -

§ 119.14. Limitations on assessment and collection.

(a) The amount of any tax imposed by this article will be assessed within three years after the return was filed.

§ 119.15. Omission from return.
If the taxpayer omits from the income stated in the return of a tax imposed by this article an amount properly includable therein which is in excess of 25% of the income so stated, the tax may be assessed, or a proceeding in court for the collection of such tax may be begun without assessment, at any time within 6 years after the return was filed.


However if the tax return was not filled - the statute of limitation would not apply.

So you need to request from PA DOR a copy of your 1988 tax return.


If you would not be provide a proof that your tax return was filled - you might be held liable for the tax.

Let me know if you need any help.


Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you