How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had to pay an additional 16,000 in 2009, 8,000 in 2008 and

Resolved Question:

I had to pay an additional 16,000 in 2009, 8,000 in 2008 and 6,000 in 2007. Can I claim those additional payments in 2010?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello wlawson,


If the amounts you are referring to are federal taxes that you owed to the IRS for those years, then federal taxes that you pay can never be claimed as a deduction on future years returns. The only income taxes that you can claim as a deduction on your return are state income taxes.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you wlawson



Edited by Merlo on 5/3/2010 at 2:29 PM EST
Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you