Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I filed electronically for our federal taxes. I sent a check

Customer Question
I filed electronically for our...
I filed electronically for our federal taxes. I sent a check by certified mail and it was postmarked by 4/15. However, the check was inadvertently sent to the wrong address and returned to me. Now what do I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
5/3/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 7 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello JA Customer,

The only thing you can do at this point is to mail the check to the correct address.

Depending on the amount that you actually owed with your return, you may or may not owe a little additional interest and penalties due to the late payment, even though this was not intentional. It depends on how much you ended up owing with your return. If you had paid in at least 90% of the same tax amount that you owed for 2008 or if you owed the IRS less than$1,000, then you should not owe any additional fees. If you owed more than this, then once the IRS receives your payment they will send you a notice stating the additional amount owed for penalties and interest and you can simply send them a separate check to cover those fees once the notice is received.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you JA Customer

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant