How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed electronically for our federal taxes. I sent a check

Resolved Question:

I filed electronically for our federal taxes. I sent a check by certified mail and it was postmarked by 4/15. However, the check was inadvertently sent to the wrong address and returned to me. Now what do I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


The only thing you can do at this point is to mail the check to the correct address.


Depending on the amount that you actually owed with your return, you may or may not owe a little additional interest and penalties due to the late payment, even though this was not intentional. It depends on how much you ended up owing with your return. If you had paid in at least 90% of the same tax amount that you owed for 2008 or if you owed the IRS less than$1,000, then you should not owe any additional fees. If you owed more than this, then once the IRS receives your payment they will send you a notice stating the additional amount owed for penalties and interest and you can simply send them a separate check to cover those fees once the notice is received.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you JA Customer



Merlo and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you