Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

can i go back and amend our taxes from 2005-2009 those were

can i go back and amend our taxes from 2005-2009?those were the years my husband drove over the road long haul and take the meal credits.?and do you get any thing for showers and sometimes he had to stay in motels,,is there a credit for that?

can i go back and amend our taxes from 2005-2009?

Yes - you may amend any past tax returns. However - if based on your amended tax return - you are due an additional refund - there is a statute of limitation to claim a refund - which generally is three years from the date the tax return was due.

Thus if you timely filed 2005 tax return - the statute of limitation started on Apr 15, 2006 and run out on Apr 15, 2009.

those were the years my husband drove over the road long haul and take the meal credits.?

Yes - you may amend your past year tax returns and claim an additional refund (plus interest) if the statute of limitation is not run out.

and do you get any thing for showers and sometimes he had to stay in motels,,is there a credit for that?

You do not need to provide any additional information or proof with your amended tax returns. However - you need to provide a proof of travel if you would be audited.

You may not use per diem to claim motel expenses - only actual costs may be deducted.

Please let me know if you need any help.