Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

WHEN THE FTB AND IRS HAS LEVIED YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS AND THE

BANK HAS FORWARDED THE MONEY...
WHEN THE FTB AND IRS HAS LEVIED YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS AND THE BANK HAS FORWARDED THE MONEY TO THEM, HOW AND WHEN DO WE GET A STATEMENT OF WHERE OUR MONEY HAS GONE TO AND HOW IT WAS APPLIED. THIS HAS HAPPENED TWICE TO US, AND SINCE THEN WE FILED OUR BACK TAXES AND OWED NOTHING, AND ALSO RECEIVED REFUNDS ON THOSE YEARS FROM THE IRS..BUT STILL WHERE IS OUR MONEY AND CAN WE STILL GET IT BACK NOW..? HOW AND WHAT CAN I DO AS TO GETTING IT RETURNED ?
5/3/2010
BK-CPA
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

You can contact the IRS and request transcripts (phone, letter, problem resolution office, through your CPA or other tax professional with power of attorney). If you are due a refund, but the IRS hasn't or won't issue you one, despite all the necessary paper-work having been filed, you'll have to send a notice/explanation/proof to the IRS in order to get the refund. Normally, filing a return and/or a refund request will trigger the refund, but your situation is past that having already filed, received a refund, paid money, etc. etc.

This really sounds like something you should get some professional help for, if you haven't yet.

Edited by BK-CPA on 5/3/2010 at 4:30 PM EST
BK-CPA
thank you . Now what about the FTB in California, do I do the same thing for them too ?

The FTB is the "Franchise Tax Board."

http://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/index.shtml

Any amounts they've taken have gone to CA and not the IRS. You would essentially go through the same process of figuring out where the money was applied (what tax form and year). After that you'll be able to get to the bottom of the situation.

BK-CPA
BK-CPA