Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am purchasing a house and have a closing date of June 25,

Customer Question
2009. I have two...
I am purchasing a house and have a closing date of June 25, 2009. I have two questions re: the $8,000 first time homebuyer tax credit.

Is the $8,000 taxable income when filing the subsequent year's return?

I understand that you have to file a 1040 in order to claim the credit. I filed a 1040A for 2009. Is there any way I can amend my return to a 1040 in order to get the $8,000 now rather than having to wait until next year? I looked at the 1040X and the 5405 and I do qualify for the full $8,000. I'm just not sure if there is any way to get the money now.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
5/2/2010
Tax Professional: Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer replied 7 years ago
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Thank you for using Just Answer.

The $8,000 is not taxable income (for Federal tax purposes; some states may declare it taxable when received.)

You can get the $8,000 credit by amending either your 2008 or 2009 tax return, using form 1040X for that year and the current form 5405. It doesn't matter that you originally filed a 1040A for either year.

If I misread your statement, and your closing date is June 25, 2010, and you had a binding contract by April 30, 2010, you can still amend your 2009 return, using form 1040X and form 5405.
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer