How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employer, Mortgage Advantage, Inc., closed out my W-2 short

This answer was rated:

My employer, Mortgage Advantage, Inc., closed out my W-2 short $10,970.37, paid me a "net" payment of $7,679 and did not include the income nor the $3,291.37 which were my withholdings for State and Federal taxes on my W-2. I took Zero Exemptions on my income so that I would have income to file against. When I made inquiry regarding this issue, my Employer said that their "books" were closed for 2009.

What is my recourse?

Dear 8u9m0qyc -


It appears that your "employer" issued you a Form 1099-MISC instead of a W-2. If you believe the information you received is incorrect, you can file a Form 4852 to provide the correct data. A copy of your final paystub from 2009 showing year to date amounts for wages and withholding can be used to complete the form. I have provided a link to an IRS web page discussing the topic and the form (with instructions) you need to complete.,,id=199593,00.html

MequonCPA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you